Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blues for Our Times

When I was driving to the store earlier today to do some shopping, the low fuel light on my dashboard lit up. I stopped at WAWA and filled up the tank at $3.47 per gallon. (I no longer shudder at $50 fill-ups). On the way back from the store the price at the same WAWA was $3.53 per gallon. It led me to write the following. (My apologies to Robert Johnson and Son House).

Blues for Our Times

I woke up this morning saw my fuel gauge on E,
Yes I woke up this morning saw my fuel gauge on E,
Went down to the corner
To see what gass-leen would be.

Chorus:

Oh these gas-o-line, gas-o-line, gas-o-line blues
These gas-o-line blues are a-killing me.

Walked down to the station, cost too much to drive
I walked down to the station, cost too much to drive
Bad news on the pump,
Gallon’s three sixty five.

Chorus

Got called by my neighbor to help fix her floor
I got called by my neighbor to help fix her floor
I had to decline,
Couldn’t drive to next door.

Chorus

The mighty big oil company’s making big profits
Yes, the mighty big oil company’s making big profits
And the oil spec-u-laters
Got their hands in our pockets.

Chorus

No comments: